Explanation / Important formulas:
- PERCENTAGE: A percentage is defined as a number represented as a fraction of 100. Percentages are used to express numbers between zero and one. It is used to compare things and use it in ratios. It is denoted by the symbol %. Percentage = (Value / Totalvalue) * 100, thus 1/ 4 = (1/4 x 100)% = 25%
- Percentage Increase/Decrease:
- If the price of a commodity increases by R%, then the reduction in consumption so as not to increase the expenditure is: [R / (100 + R) x 100]%
- If the price of a commodity decreases by R%, then the increase in consumption so as not to decrease the expenditure is: [R / (100 – R) x 100]%
Results on Population: Let the population of a town be P now and suppose it increases at the rate of R% per annum, then:
- Population after n years = P(1+ R/100)n
- Population n years ago = P / (1+ R/100)n
Results on Depreciation: Let the present value of a machine be P. Suppose it depreciates at the rate of R% per annum. Then:
- Value of the machine after n years = P (1 – R / 100)n
- Value of the machine n years ago = P /(1- R /100)n
- If A is R% more than B, then B is less than A by [R /(100 +R) x 100]%
- If A is R% less than B, then B is more than A by [R /(100 – R) x 100]%
TRUE DISCOUNT: The “True discount” is a term used when you are promised a given amount of money in the future. Since money collect interest, the actual value of that promise is less than the face value
Consider a man has to pay Rs. 156 after 4 years and the rate of interest is 14% per annum. Clearly, Rs. 100 at 14% will amount to R. 156 in 4 years. So, the payment of Rs. now will clear off the debt of Rs. 156 due 4 years hence. We say that:
- Sum due = Rs. 156 due 4 years hence;
- Present Worth (P.W.) = Rs. 100;
- True Discount (T.D.) = Rs. (156 – 100) = Rs. 56 = (Sum due) – (P.W.).
- We define: T.D. = Interest on P.W..; Amount = (P.W.) + (T.D.)
- Interest is reckoned on P.W. and true discount is reckoned on the amount.
Let rate = R% per annum and Time = T years. Then,
- P.W. = 100 x Amount / 100 + (R x T) = 100 x T.D / R x T
- T.D. = (P.W) x R x T / 100 = Amount x R x T / 100+(R x T)
- Sum = (S.I) x (T.D) / (S.I) – (T.D)
- (S.I.) – (T.D.) = S.I. on T.D.
- When the sum is put at compound interest, then P.W. = Amount / (1+R / 100)T
Instructions to take Aptitude Test
- Click on start to start taking the test.
- Click on the option (A, B, C or D) to figure out the right answer.
- You can answer multiple times till you get the right answer.
- Once you get the right answer, explanations (if any) for the same will be showcased down.
- On click of list, you get to see total no of questions, no of questions you answered and no of questions pending to answer.
- On click of question number you will go to that particular question.
- On click of END your test will end.
- On click of ‘Get Results’ you will get to see correct answer for each questions.
Test - Percentage and True Discount
Percentage and true discount - Question and Answers
You scored %%SCORE%% out of %%TOTAL%%.
Your performance has been rated as %%RATING%%