Life of the only unmarried, vegetarian PRESIDENT OF INDIA, Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam wasn’t that easy. His story is one of those inspirational stories which everyone must know and learn from.
Family and Personal information of Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam:
He was born in a poor family on 15th Oct 1931, in a conch named Rameshwaram, and truly was a gem to the country. His father, Jainulabdin, was a boat owner and mother Aashiamma was a housewife. Kalam had seven siblings.
He started working at the age of 8 to support his family financially. He used to distribute newspapers along with his cousin Samsuddhin.
His day started at 4.00 a.m and ended at 11.00 p.m. He always had a thirst to learn and his father supported and encouraged him a lot to study.
At the age of 10, he was an eyewitness of the World War II. This was the most difficult times he ever faced in his life.
Education of Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam:
Kalam was bright and a hardworking student although his grades weren’t that impressive in his schooling. He spent most of his time learning Mathematics.
- Completed his schooling in Schwartz Higher Secondary School, Ramanathapuram.
- Graduated in Physics from the University of Madras in 1954.
- Did his Aerospace Engineering in Madras Institute Of Technology.
- Dreamt to be a fighter pilot, while there were 8 slots allocated he secured the 9th position. This was one of his failures.
Roles played in Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam’s life:
- A great Son
- Responsible Brother
- A great Scientist
- A good Professor
- An Aerospace Engineer
- A successful Administrator
- A knowledgeable teacher
- A perfect example of a good-hearted Human being.
He is the man, who was highly focused and achieved his goals irrespective of the hardships he had to face. Make your GOALS smart with simple steps.
Achievements of Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam:
- Designed a small helicopter for the Indian Army at the DRDO.
- He launched a mission called ‘What Can I Give Movement’ aimed at the youth of India.
- He was well known as the Missile Man of India for the below reasons:
- The brain behind the Satellite Launch (SLV-III)
- Project Director behind India’s first Satellite ‘ROHINI’.
- Developed 5 missiles while in DRDO.(Nag, Akash, Trishul) and a backbone for the development and operation of ( Agni, Prithvi)
- Led to the formation of BrahMos Aerospace between Russia & India.
- Received 7 honorary doctorates from 48 different Universities.
He has also made his name in the field of literature, philosophy, and language. He was also an appreciator of Music.
His work in literature: He has written 18 books, 22 poems, and 4 songs. He was an expertise in playing Veena as well. He used to read both the Geetha and the Quran.
While in ISRO, after many test failures by his team he took the blame on self but never took the credit on successes.
Also read: Not only SKILL-SET but ATTITUDE also matters
Installed a “Thinking hut” at the Rashtrapati Bhavan, in the Manipuri Style and spent his mornings and evenings there, but after he left it was demolished just to maintain the original character of Edwi Lutyen’s.
Donated all his savings to PURA-a strategy for rural development in India, during his Presidentship.
He was hyperactive on Social media with more than 1.37 million followers on Twitter.
Awards won by Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam:
- Padma Bhushan in 1981
- Padma Vibhushan in 1990
- Received Bharat Ratna in 1997, by the President of India, K.R.Narayanan.
- Von Braun Award in 2013.
Our Prime Minister Mr. Narendra Modi released the commemorative postal stamps on Dr. Kalam on his 84th Birth anniversary celebrations. He took his last breath on 27th July 2015, in IIM in Shillong (while delivering the speech).
Few famous quotes by Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam:
Success is when your ‘Signature’ changes to your ‘Autograph’.
Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.
All birds find shelter in rain. But the Eagle avoids rain by flying above the clouds.
Without your involvement, you can’t SUCCEED. With your involvement, you can’t FAIL.
He always believed in Simple Living & High Thinking! In spite of being the President of India, he always led a simple life. Even though he is not amongst us today, his beliefs, his teachings, and inspirational quotes are enough to boost our spirit. He will always be missed. For everything about Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam:
This is a small glimpse about Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam. Share your thoughts about Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam and one thing that you liked or you got inspired the most. Also, his birthday is coming up on 15th October. Comment below on what would you like to do as a small token of love towards ‘the missile man’.
Other inspiring articles: