smart goals

Goals!

Sounds heavy?

May it be scoring a goal in a football match or climbing the mountain or even reaching your targets at your workplace. Having a goal itself is the first step to success for you are clearly aware of your destination. Teaching how to get what someone wants is secondary but finding someone who knows what they really want is tough. Surveys say, 80% of the crowd have no proper goals set in their lives. Also, out of the remaining 20%, 70% of them don’t reach their goals. Sad, but true.

  • Why do people fail to reach their goals?
  • What are they missing out?
  • What needs to be actually done to reach there?

One of the main reason for us to not achieve our goals is that we don’t have smart goals.

smart-goals
Image Reference: http://www.newfoundbalance.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/smart-goals1-1.jpg

Example: Consider a person wants to lose weight. If the goal set by him or she is “ I want to lose weight”, then he/she would find it difficult to succeed.

Be SPECIFIC, MEASURABLE and don’t have a VAGUE goal. A smart goal would be “I want to lose 6 kilograms of weight in 3 months”. Remember, the goal you set should also be achievable, as in; you should first know your capability. Learn from your previous mistakes/experiences and never repeat them. It’s always good and advisable to have milestones (break your goals). It is easy to measure and keep a track of the goal.

Poor beginner, Negative minded, Laziness, Procrastination are a common reason to stop you to achieve your GOAL but the best thing to do is face them and get over it. If you have any obstacles in achieving your goal, make that as the topmost priority to address it. As Mark Twain says, “Eat a live frog first thing every morning, and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.” This will not only boost your confidence but also save that precious time which you would otherwise waste in worrying about taking up remaining tasks.

Distractions are one of the major causes of failures in reaching goals. There are situations when few things aren’t in one’s control and thus they happen. Get over bad situations ASAP and get going with your goals. Too many goals also distract you and you end up concentrating partially on all the goals.

Upgrade your skills, for, the market isn’t stagnant, it keeps flowing

Know the gaps between where you are and where you want to be. Build the bridge! Don’t hesitate to ask help when struck. After all, we are humans.

Initially, Start with small. Let’s say you have estimated your task to be completed in 3 hrs. Try completing it ten mins earlier. Every new attempt try lessening the time by five mins. Don’t devalue your wins, though they might not be a big deal. Celebrate even the small wins.

Everyone speaks BIG! What really matters is how much they live up to their words!!

Also, read:

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here